Wessell, Nickel & Gross

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:37:15 -0600

Hi all,
Tuned an interesting Hornung Brothers San Francisco piano today s# 1914 =
dates it at 1909.  Two things very interesting for me to see.
 First the casters were a two part cross it seemed, between the old cast =
iron base one piece unit and the modern two part caster that has a metal =
base that the caster stem is inserted into. The casters on this piano =
had a heavy cast iron base that the stem was driven into. The stem was =
much larger than any that are in my case of spare casters.
So we ended up replacing with the one piece cast unit, which fit =
perfectly.
The second interesting thing about this piano was the action. My mind =
could almost see a conection between the action style of the rocker with =
a hole in it, rocker, capstan, and steps in the development of the =
modern action. <G> Hope I'm not off my rocker, but it was fun to just =
think look and tune today.=20
I would rate this piano with the likes of an Ivers & Pond, a keeper.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com