Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:42:33 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2002 11:59:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)
> Date:7/19/2002 11:59:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:pianobuilders@olynet.com">pianobuilders@olynet.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet

         Thanks for the very lucid thoughts in this entire post but
especially the following paragraphs. At times it is amzing that often I don't
have the time or clarity to state a case like this clearly and then some one
else does it ands it's like they were reading your mind better than you were
yourself. comments interspersed

Del wrote
> We speak of the warm fuzzies we get from giving--and there is some truth to
> that--but think what we are really saying. We are going to give our
> instructors the honor of sharing their hard-earned knowledge with us so
> that
> we can better compete against them in the free and open marketplace. We
> tell
> them we owe them nothing, or at least very little, for thier efforts; the
> experience of teaching will make them better known and will help them
> generate more business. So, in addition to equipping the rest of us better
> compete against them, they are now expected to take even more time away
> from
> family and friends and work even harder to pay for the privilage. While
> we're all off enjoying the fruits of their knowledge and labor.
>
> Kind of lopsided thinking, it seems to me.

 I personally know of two instructors that presented work-changing classes
> (for me), that no longer teach because of the cost.  There are probably
> > others, as well.  What quality are we missing because of this?
>
> There probably are. I know it is an issue for me every year as I try to
> justify the sometimes considerable time and expense to my wife and to my
> business partner.

 I taught my first class at a (in

> those days we called it 'the National') convention in 1972. I've long ago
> lost track of how many conventions, conferences and one-day events I've
> done. And it is still not a natural thing for me--I rely heavily on the
> good
> will of the folks attending to pull one of these classes off successfully.

                                           Del