Overnight Bridge Repair

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:52:15 -0400

At 10:17 PM -0600 7/20/02, Joe And Penny Goss wrote:
>Do The wobblies extend down under the bass strings?

The mid treble-break: C5-C#5. The worst is G#4-A#4. In the capo
section C#5 and D5 areal a little tipsy.

>If you can reach the
>bridge pins without spilling CA on them, that is the way you could go. Apply
>thinnest with the piano at pitch, and on a 45% tilt.  Apply just above the
>bridge pin so that it will run down onto the bridge. Then reapply a second
>pass being careful not to let the glue run too far.

I'd have assumed the strings need to be lifted at least off the
bridge pins, for clean application. How much sure time does the CA
need. I'd hate to load it too early, yet time is a requirement. (I'm
assuming because you're suggesting it, that CA repair could be done
("tune to pitch and stable"), in under 24 hours.

BTW, this is not a vertical. This is a grand, so I won't be able to tilt it.

>One other thing you might check is the bridge notching. If it is not
>parallel to the pressure bar and you have unequal string lengths,
>You will get the same sound as loose pins.

Not a variable here. While the capo side of the bridge is notched
parallel to the bridge instead of capo, on the aggraphe side, it's
parallel to the 'graphe. Both sides are equally wobbly.

But I'm also very curious about whether the string leaves maple
instead of steel.

>Love those wobbly knees.

Throw in two badly deteriorated ankles as well.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Trust me, you've got all the equipment, You just need to read the manual"
     ...........Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde"