Humorous dilemna ...

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:59:33 -0400

In a message dated Sun, 21 Jul 2002 8:49:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I think a critical element here is whether you told him that the strings are not made at Steinway, but rather Steinway orders their strings from Mapes. If you did tell him that, then simply apply your normal markup to the Steinway price and give him the bill saying nothing but thank you. Next string you replace for him, advise him again. If you did not tell him that Steinway gets their strings from Mapes, then I would do the same, say nothing about it, but next time you replace a string for him, advise him that you have learned that Steinway gets their strings from Mapes.
>
> Humorous indeed though.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry, what if you didn't tell him and he accidently finds out through another source?  Slim chances, but if it happens how does that make you look?  Why not be straight up?  It eliminates any misunderstandings later. Should we protect, Steinways reputation at the possible expense of our own?  Remember 10,000 parts make up Steinway and if they are not all "genuine Steinway" parts then it is not a Steinway. That is not my ad copy!

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW