no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:22:00 -0400

In a message dated Sun, 21 Jul 2002 9:50:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> I am going to jump in on this thread with an opposite point of view. One thing I would like to see happen, contrary to what I have said in the past, and contrary to what every one has been saying, is that instructors not be paid at all.

> Instructors teach at the most two classes. That's two periods out of a possible 20. That 10%. If the only reason an instructor goes to the convention is to teach, then that person is going for the wrong reason. I am sure that in addition to teaching those two classes, the instructor attends other classes. Why should instructors get free registration, plus a stipend of some sorts, when they are able to take advantage of the other instruction at the convention, (not to mention the exhibit hall, the parties, and all the reasons to go to a convention.

Wim, I taught 2 regular classes and a rebuilding skills class, which totals 4 classes, I was not able to go to 3 classes that I would have really liked to attend because of my teaching schedule.  I am certainly not complaining, I just want to get the story straight.

> One thing I do know. There are many more instructors willing to teach than there are slots open. A lot of them would be willing to teach for free. That is why I think the PTG should save its money on paying instructors to teach. Instead, give him/her a 10% discount on the registration fee.
>
> Perhaps a few high level instructors will opt out. But if they decide not to teach, there will be three or four others who will be willing to take their place at the drop of a hat. Maybe some new and fresh faces in front of the class will draw some new and fresh faces in the back of the room.
>
> On a related subject, but from a different angle. With all the hoopla about Associates needing to become RPT, I think the PTG should provide more for the examiners who are helping the Associates get there. I think the PTG is taking advantage of the examiners. I volunteer to help with the exams every time I go to the convention or a seminar. I am willing to give my time for the cause. But the volunteers get nothing. One year I paid full registration, plus the hotel, and got to go to three classes. I know that is my choice. But I was needed, because there are no provision in the PTG budget to compensate examiners. If the PTG did provide funds for the examiners, either in the way of a reduced registration, or compensation, perhaps the examining team wouldn't be begging for help with
> the exams.

I agree!

> Just my opinion.
>
> Wim