Humorous dilemna ...

Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:04:55 -0700

Alan,

We had a similar situation arise some years back when we rebuilt a Model =
L for a large hotel. The hotel manager insisted that we use genuine =
Steinway action parts even though we told him they would actually be =
Renner parts and that they would be far less costly if we ordered =
directly from Renner. In fact, he insisted that we bring the packing =
slips and the boxes the parts came in to show to him when the piano was =
delivered.=20

When the parts arrived from Steinway they were still in the original =
Renner boxes with Steinway labels pasted over them. The Renner labels =
were not completely covered, though. We didn't have to say a word....

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 20, 2002 10:34 PM
  Subject: Humorous dilemna ...

  This is a real dilemma and kinda funny. What would you advise. =
Remember: The customer is always right ...

  Customer has a 1910 Steinway "O" (very nice, he and the piano). He is =
conservatory trained and fussy so ... when I pointed out to him on my =
first visit that he was missing a bi-chord wound string and it was =
throwing off the hammer and damper, etc, so it needed to be replaced, he =
asked where I would get the string.

  I told him that I order direct from Mapes, etc., etc. He said "No =
thank you, I really insist on a genuine Steinway string".

  I said "okay," jumped through Steinway's hoops ("Just tell us what you =
want in an email and we'll invoice you.") and ordered a "genuine" =
Steinway string.

  Of course it came from Mapes--shipped to me but invoiced to Steinway =
who had charged me about 3 times the direct Mapes price.

  Dilemma: Do I share the joke with him and just charge him what =
Steinway charged me, plus the shipping, or do I keep my mouth shut, =
throw a markup on the string, and REALLY stick it to him for one pretty =
little copper-clad wire?

  Alan Barnard
  Missouri