Stainless Steel Wire/Ron Nossaman's question

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:32:10 +0200

Ron,  Newton, others,

I apologize this post was intended to be send privately at first.

> > > The wire is used mostly because of the less tension it
> needs , and because of the mellower sound it gives.
> > >

> >Lowering tension with normal piano wire will have a "mellower
> >sound".  There may well be some difference but you cannot compare
the sound
> of two wires at different tension.  ALL parameters have to be as
close as possible to get a
> >valid comparison.

I would say that lowering the tension on modern wire lend more to a
dull sound than a mellow one, I never appreciate the sound of pianos
off pitch.

The Pure sound wire is an attempt to reproduce the wire that was used
on pianos at the beginning of the century (Firmini wire for France),
and I've find similitude's in the sound. Some of the pianos have still
their original wires , may be stiffened by time, but that gives us a
pretty good idea of how they sounded I guess.

While the use of real stainless wire as done by some does not give a
very round and nice sound, the Pure sound seems to be a correct
choice, for what I've seen actually (may be 10 pianos at this day).

For whose who want to try the stainless wire , the one used by one
restorer in Holland is only bottom lines for big game fishery, so you
may be able to find the same thing locally. The sound is a bit crude,
but some people in the  barrocco move seems to believe that it is the
original sound of these pianos, the wire is brittle too.
I compare it to the sound we obtain when using key top/acetone
solution on the crown of hammers, bland, and "white" without possible
articulation. When used on the mellow pianos as Erard grand's, you
feel the roundness of the piano but masked by the harsh corposants of
the sound (of the wire I guess).  Stringing may be a mess with this
kind, as the 2 pianos I have seen restored with this have ugly  coils,
and one have string breakage in the medium after 8 years of play.

I was told that the pure sound is easy to work with, soft for
stringing, make coils/ eyelets.
The aspect is less shiny than modern wire, and it does not corrode
fast.

With best regards, good sunny days everyone.

Isaac OLEG

France