no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:42:10 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/02 4:32:53 PM !!!First Boot!!!, BobDavis88@AOL.COM
writes:

> Instructors teach at the most two classes. That's two periods out of a
> >  possible 20. That 10%. ....Why should instructors get free registration,
> plus a >stipend of some sorts,
>
> Because the attendees are getting the benefit of MUCH more than 1.5 hours
> (*2) of the instructor's time. The instructor doesn't just walk in and
> start
> talking. Even after teaching at many conventions, I still spend NUMEROUS
> hours revising the material to make it as clear and efficient as possible,
> and I can't count the hours before the first one I taught at. Knowing the
> subject is one thing, but preparing it to be useful to 100 people, with
> differing levels of experience and different learning styles, is quite
> another.

Bob

Everything you say is true. But everyone who teaches a class has spent time
prior to coming to a convention to prepare for it. That is what we all do.
But how do we get compensated for that? Is free registration enough? Is one
night's lodging enough? No, it is not. If we truly wanted to get paid back,
it would cost the PTG too much. And how do we compensate for someone who has
taught the same class five or six times? There are classes I teach where I
just have to get out my notes, and I'm ready to go.

> Also, while others were at receptions, I was preparing a piano for a class,
> or breaking it down to be used by someone else. I left the banquet early
> for
> the same reason.

Again, different people spend different mount of time at the conventions for
their class preparation. So perhaps a little more than 10% discount. But free
registration, and a stipend, I think, is a little too much. You still get
some benefit from the convention. And as you said, and I totally agree, you
always learn something when you teach.

Wim