Guitar Tuning for Man of La Mancha

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:41:49 -0500

Wow, interesting. I have studied and played classical guitar for over 35 =
years -- never even thought about tuning the guitar any differently than =
I learned way back when. And I'm a piano tech!?!?!?!?!

I'm going to have a little fun experimenting with your ideas and will =
report back in a few days ...

Thanks,

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; macman@pathfinder.dnsalias.com=20
  Cc: tuning@yahoogroups.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 5:31 PM
  Subject: Guitar Tuning for Man of La Mancha

  List,=20

  Once again, as I expected would be inevitable, I had to intervene in =
the production of Man of La Mancha by our local theater company for the =
tuning of the on stage guitar.  The company simply could not find a =
guitarist willing to attend all of the rehearsals and do everything else =
that is required.  One of the youngest singers and actors has a guitar =
however, and is learning to play it.  He offered to do what he can.=20

  He has an electronic tuner for it and a clamp on capo bar.  The first =
few times he played, I just listened to whatever sound he was getting.  =
He really is only playing during 2 numbers, the opening Flamenco style =
chant (some chords in Bb minor) and for the song, "Little Bird, Little =
Bird" in which I am the principal vocalist.  He really is exposed in =
this number, however because he will be the only instrumentalist heard.  =
There will be no other orchestra accompaniment.  Naturally, I have a =
vested interest in what kind of sound will be my accompaniment.=20

  The G major chord he plays for the Little Bird song sounded pretty =
sour to me, even more than Equal Temperament is supposed to be.  I told =
him I knew of a special way to tune that would make it sound much =
sweeter.  He agreed to have me help him tune it for the next rehearsal.  =
I brought in my Sanderson Accu-Tuner in which I had set up the Vallotti =
style Well Tempered Tuning for guitar that I had designed under very =
similar circumstances 10 years ago.=20

  I got the very same reaction I have witnessed every single time I have =
done this:  the jaw drops, the eyes open wide in amazement at the =
beautiful sound of the harmony produced by tuning the guitar this way.  =
I then had him clamp on the capo bar and play the Bb minor chord that =
goes with the Flamenco style chant:  another look of amazement at the =
beautifully clear but dark and disturbing sound of the minor chord in 5 =
flats in a true, Well Tempered Tuning.  The F Major dominant chord of =
that key also sounds beautifully clear and true.=20

  Now, I have written about this before and had any number of people, =
all guitarists of high degrees of skill tell me rather specifically and =
often quite harshly that this *cannot* be done!  Needless to say, I have =
heard much the same kinds of hard headed opinions about the way I tune =
the piano but obviously, I have never believed in what anyone told me, I =
have only believed in what I hear as the results of my work.=20

  Below are the actual figures programed into my Accu-Tuner.  They may =
not look "right" to you.  But ask yourself, has any set of figures for =
tuning the piano, regardless of temperament ever looked "right" or =
logical?  They don't because of the omnipotent presence of the factor =
known as Inharmonicity.  All of these values are read on Octave 4.  That =
means that the lowest two strings are read on the 4th partial, the =
middle three on the 2nd partial and the highest on its fundamental.=20

  When Inharmonicity is taken into account, it skews everything, making =
the numbers appear irrational.  These figures were arrived at however, =
by aural tuning first, then reading the results with the Accu-Tuner.  =
The figures were rounded off to convenient whole numbers, much the way I =
round of my figures to the nearest 1/2 cent when creating a piano tuning =
program.  The figures can also be halved which creates a "Victorianized" =
version of the same idea.=20

  IMPORTANT:  All Values are Read on Octave 4=20

  Note    Vallotti   Victorian=20

  E2     -4.0          -2.0=20

  A2      0.0           0.0=20

  D3      2.0           1.0=20

  G3      4.0           2.0=20

  B3      -2.0         -1.0=20

  E4       0.0          0.0=20

  My piano technology apprentice, Tyler Smith has been to a rehearsal of =
the show and heard how the piano tuned in Equal Beating Victorian =
Temperament  (EBVT) (click on the link to my website for information on =
that) and saw how the guitar was tuned.  Although he is only 18 years =
old, he is quite well read and knowledgeable in many subjects.  He was =
born in 1984 but he has read George Orwell's novel by that same name as =
well as other books by the same author.=20

  I found it interesting that he knows that author and interprets the =
stories much the same way I do. The Guild of American Luthiers has a web =
page which explains its views on how a guitar should be tuned.  My =
comment about that writing is that it looks like George Orwell himself =
had written it.  It basically says that you cannot do what I have done, =
don't even think about it.  Just do what Big Brother tells you is right =
and eventually, you'll learn to like it.=20

  Here is the link to that web page:=20

  http://w3.ime.net/~cygnus/equal_temperament.html=20

  The web page is really meant to instruct guitarists on how not to make =
the same basic errors that piano technicians are prone to making by =
tuning 4ths & 5ths too purely.  If the open strings of the guitar are =
tuned to pure 4ths (and the A2-E4 octave and 5th made pure), the 3rd, =
G3-B3 and the 6th, D3-B3 will be far too wide, having a "sour" sound to =
them and effectively be Pythagorean 3rds (22 cents wide).  The web page =
teaches the guitar tuner not to tune the intervals so purely but it also =
says that there is no other alternative.=20

  All I do with both of my above arrangements is simply temper the 4ths =
& 5ths a little more.  The Valotti style temperament has the 4ths and =
5ths tempered exactly twice as much as Equal Temperament.  I have =
learned over the years to question and prove wrong such iron fisted =
statements as are made in the Luthiers Guild web page.  =20

  There has been much the same kind of teaching about piano tuning for =
the last hundred years but more and more, people are beginning to =
realize that there really are some alternatives to Equal Temperament =
which can and do work really well with all of the kinds of music the =
piano is expected to play.  I see no reason this can't be so with the =
guitar as well.  I did once see a guitarist of the highest caliber from =
New York who took a lot of time on stage carefully tuning his guitar in =
exactly the same way as I describe below.=20

  Here are the aural tuning instructions for accomplishing the Vallotti =
style Well Tempered Tuning on a six string guitar.=20

  1.  Tune A2 to A-440 fork or other aural pitch source.=20

  2.  Tune E4 from A2 a pure octave and 5th first, then flatten E2 until =
the Octave and 5th has a lilting beat to it, about 1 beat per second.=20

  3.  Tune E2 from A4 a pure 4th first, then flatten E2 until the 4th =
beats at 2 beats per second.  This should create a slightly stretched =
double octave from E2-E4.  The double octave should have a very slow, =
roll to it of about 1/2 beat per second.=20

  4.  Tune D3 from A2 a pure 4th first, then sharpen D3 until the 4th =
beats at 2 beats per second.=20

  5.  Tune G3 from D3 a pure 4th first, then sharpen G3 until the 4th =
beats at 2 beats per second.=20

  6.  Tune B3 from E4 a pure 4th first, then flatten B3 until the 4th =
beats at 2 betas per second.=20

  The results of this should be that the 3rd, G3-B3 and the 6th, D3-B3 =
now also beat at the same slow, 2 beat per second rate.  When all of the =
4ths and the 3rd an 6th all beat at the same slow, gentle rate, the =
tuning is accomplished.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20