Respect for PT's

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:50:32 -0700

All of ProPiano's solo piano recordings list the piano technician, piano & serial number (Pro's # at least)  I received numerous copies of these excellent unknown artists..

David I,

From: Z! Reinhardt <diskladame@provide.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Respect for PT's

Ain't it a shame ... and I often wonder.

Some thoughts.  How much are we considered as merely "a variation on the theme of a stage hand" ?  The sound engineer, lighting director, and stage manager all get credits, but their crew members are rarely listed.

In how many instances are the liner notes, program notes, or other published verbal materials already at the printshop by the time the piano tuner is hired for the job?  I don't know how it is in other cities, but here in Detroit, the performance venues have a habit of waiting to nearly the last minute to get hold of a piano, then finding a technician depending on which dealer the piano was rented from.

Here's another thought ... how much could the credits given be a reflection of what matters most to the performer?  All too often, the piano technician is the "value-hidden extra" who works the magic while the others are away.  I personally like to meet the performers and find out what matters most to them when it comes to the piano, but there are some performers out there who prefer to remain "unavailable" until after the job deadline.  That same performer may have much more interaction with the sound engineer, and all those other people whose names appear on the published output than they do with the piano technician.

Well yes, I too got to see my name in bold print recently ... across the TV screen for work I did for a live broadcast.  The woman in charge of the credits was very busy collecting all of the information she could about everybody who had stepped into the studio that day.  She certainly made up for the apparent lack of interest the performer had in everybody else except himself and his immediate entourage.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net