Respect for PT's

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:16:11 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/02 11:04:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> In how many instances are the liner notes, program notes, or other published
> verbal materials already at the printshop by the time the piano tuner is
> hired for the job?  I don't know how it is in other cities, but here in
> Detroit, the performance venues have a habit of waiting to nearly the last
> minute to get hold of a piano, then finding a technician depending on which
> dealer the piano was rented from.

The concert hall at the University of Alabama is also used by the Tuscaloosa
Symphony Orchestra. Since I have to take care of the concert grand for the
university, it doesn't take much extra effort to also tune it for the TSO.
But I do have to do some extra work. To keep the TSO's expenses down, I have
offered to tune the piano free of charge in exchange for my name in the
program and 2 season tickets, (about 6 concerts a year). My name, however, is
not under all the other support personnel. I have a separate 2" column ad,
saying a special contribution has been made by Willem Blees, Piano Tuner, and
my phone number. It has only gotten me a few customers, but it's only been
one year since I've moved here. Now that I am a little more known, I suspect
I'll get more calls this year.

Wim