Steinway Player from 1926

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:30:20 EDT

Tyler writes:
>It's a shame that someone junked the reproducing action, but I'm told
>that serious pianists who can learn to accept the bulging empty case
>like these steinways more than their normal analogues because when
>rebuilt properly the play "faster" because the keysticks are longer

Greetings,
    I own two of these,(they are in my rental inventory, and have been played
by a lot of players).  One of them has a 52 gr. DW at C28 and 50 at C40,  the
other has 50 and 48, respectively.  However, the "lighter one" has softer
hammers and feels "heavier" to many of the players.
    I don't hear anybody talking about "faster" actions in these pianos.
Which doesn't surprise me, since speed is more due to backcheck distance than
anything else. I don't think the longer keysticks speed anything up,   A
comment from a particularly heavy handed player was that they were easy to
play but seemed to run out of power when he really called on them.  I ascribe
this to a lower the power saturation limit, due to the extra flex to be found
in the longer keys.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT