Stainless Steel Wire

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:35:13 +0200

Hello,

I understand the wire is a little heavier than Roslau wire.

Extract of the Pure sound site http://www.puresound-wire.com :

To measure a string tension I use a simplificated form derived from
the Taylor formula:

F = 2514 x f2 x l2 x d2

F = tension in kg (gravity 9.81).
f = frequency in Herz.
l = speaking length in meters.
d = diameter in meters (!)

This formula is based on modern piano wire, average density 7,85.
These data are all hidden within the number: 2514.
For Pure Sound wire this number is : 2530. (average density: 7,90)
For Malcolm Rose's wire the number is : 2488. (average density: 7,769)

Never hear of problems of string turning "dead" (but not much data for
me today.

There are many useful information about the different gauges used on
the site.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech