no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:08:46 EDT

pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Much like the 1980s, our conventions seem to have reached something of a
> plateau. (We can forgive Richard who, in spite of his rhetoric, wasn't
> around PTG then and so can't really be expected to know much about those
> days. But you were.) They are losing their attraction to an
> unacceptable--and, I think, growing--number of long-term and highly
> experienced members. And they are losing an unacceptable number of capable
> and experienced instructors. These are some of the best people we have.
> These are people who don't just grab last year's outline and hop on a
> plane. True, there will always a fresh supply of newcomers willing to be
> exploited, but unless we make begin now to make some fundamental changes we
> are going to find ourselves locked into a continually repeating downhill
> cycle.

Del

You make some very good points, and I'll make my own observation later. But
let me first interject a couple of comments about the classes I have taught
more than once. First, I think it is important that classes be taught more
than once. After all, there are thousands of techs, but only a handful show
up for a class. Not that everyone one should come hear my words of wisdom,
but they should have the opportunity to do so, if they so desire. And the
same goes for your classes. I have recommended your classes to a lot of my
friends. But if you only teach a class once, how can they learn what I
learned? Second, I have never taught a full class at an Annual convention. (I
have taught about 5 or 6 mini tech classes). I am still waiting for an
invitation. All the classes I have ever taught have been at various regional
and one day seminars around the country, or at my chapter meeting. Third, I
have developed about 12 different classes over the years, and I am working on
another one. There are some teachers out there who have one, or maybe two
classes, that they repeat over and over again. There is nothing wrong with
that, if the class is really good. But some of them are not.

But getting back to the idea that we've reached a plateau. I think what is
offered at conventions goes in cycles. Some years there are some very good
new classes offered. Some years it seems like a repeat of the previous year.
I don't know if it has to do with the makeup of the institute committee, or
just who is available and wants to teach. But as I mentioned before, I know
there are many more willing to teach each year than there are openings.
Perhaps the institute committee should repeat a fewer percentage of "old
standby's," and offer a larger percentage of new instructors, even if the
subject matter is the same. After all, how many new ways are there to tune a
piano, or notch a bridge. But a different approach, on the same topic,
presented by a different instructor, might be interesting.

As long as there is going to be a piano tuning profession, new people are
going to come into the industry. Even though guys like you and me have just
about seen it all, we shouldn't forget there are new people who show up every
year. The first time you went to a class, might have been a fifth time that
instructor presented it. But it was new to you, and so it was important.
Unfortunately, because of this, the same subject is going to be presented
year after year, and there are going to be fewer and fewer classes for us to
attend. But as I have expressed before, the convention has become more of a
social event for me than an educational one. But I learn enough new things to
make the experience worth while.

As I said earlier, if the only reason you come to a convention is to teach,
then perhaps you should reexamine your motive for going. But I know you come
also for the socialization, and to learn a few new things. And if you do
teach on top of that, I know I, and a lot of other people, will learn a lot
just sitting in your class listening to your word of wisdom.

Take care, my friend. One of these we're going to figure it all out.

Wim