no comp. .. Del's thoughts.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:30:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/02 11:15:55 AM !!!First Boot!!!, tito@philbondi.com
writes:

Phil, Comments below.

> 1. I've only been to a handful of conventions, but in my short tenure, it
> appears that the 'most popular'(conrad, 42 regular) classes are the ones
> that require a registration fee in addition to the regular registration
> fee( the all-day affairs and the hands-on stuff). The all-day affairs that I
> have attended, on a whole, have been more rewarding than the individual
> classes(conrad, extra FR please). It's possible that my newness to the biz
> has something to do with my viewpoint, but, Del, anyone, do you feel that
> more of these types of classes might be an avenue for us to explore? I
> realize timing and space are critical, but I would like to hear what others
> have to say about this.
>
> These types of classes are typically taught by people that have a direct
> link to a particular company or manufacturer, so there isn't as much
> 'questioning' from the class as there is from the smaller, individual
> classes. The instructor's word "seems" to be more respected in these type of
> situations because, "they're the expert".

This is the "outsider" syndrome. In St. Louis are some very talented singers.
But when it came to signing a solo with the Symphony, they brought in a
singer from New York, or Chicago. Not because they were better, but because
they were from, somewhere else. The same thing happened with a concert grand
at a local university. They took it to New York, where a technician rebuilt
it. (not the factory). They thought a technician from New York would do a
better job. You know the answer, don't you?

The "experts" from the factory were independent technicians yesterday. But
somehow, now that they work for the factory, they have become instant
experts. I am not taken anything away from these people. They're excellent
technician, otherwise the factory would not have hired them. But they do
carry a certain amount of clout. The same subject taught by an independent
tech might be just as good.

As far as the classes for which you paid extra. Is it because you paid extra
that you thought you got more from the class? Would the same class, offered
for free, have the same impact?

> 2. Do you think that it's possible that there is a "fear factor" lurking in
> the background that is preventing talanted people from getting up in front
> of 20-100 peers and delivering a class? Speaking for myself, I find that a
> pretty daunting proposition. "Fear" meaning that talanted people are just
> that...talanted..but when it comes to instructing a group of peers, the
> instructor becomes the questioned, because the talented individual is
> unfamiliar with being an instructor, and teaching/instructing is something
> that you either have or are willing to work very hard at to be better at. My
> thoughts are that there's alot of talent in the PTG, but instructing people,
> especially at Del's level, becomes intimidating because of his experience
> level.
>
> Think about this for a minute...this is a scenario:
>
> I design a class for aural tuners, aimed at the beginners, to help them
> become more confident in what they're doing...sitting in the back of the
> class, simply out of respect or curiosity, is Jim Coleman Sr. and Al
> Sanderson. I don't know about anyone else, but my legs would turn to jello.
> These are 2 people that I have learned an AWFUL lot from over the years, and
> I would be petrified to say the wrong thing at the wrong time instructing
> these people in my class willing to learn something.
>
> We all know Jim and Al are 2 of the kindest people you'll ever meet, but
> speaking for myself, that's pretty intimidating, and you had better know
> your stuff if you want to be in that situation so your legs don't turn to
> jello.
>
> If anyone is still reading this, I would appreciate your thoughts.
>
> Respectfully a rook,
>
> -Phil Bondi (Fl.)

First of all, guys like Jim and Al would never embarrass you in front of a
class. If they disagree with something you said, they would talk to you
later, in private. That is what most good instructors do. On the other hand,
if you know you have made a good point, that they agree with, you can make
yourself look even better by asking them to confirm what you said.

The fear factor does come into play when teaching a class. But remember, you
are in the position of controlling the pace and tempo of the class. If there
is someone in the class that wants to challenge everything you say, it will
become obvious to the others, and you do have the right to ask that person to
see you after class for further commnets. There are some techs who go to a
class not to learn, but to let everyone else know they know more than the
instructor. There is nothing you can do about that, except flat out tell the
guy to shut up. I've done it, with great results. Don't feel bad about
embarrassing him,.because that is what he is doing to you.

As long as you have good material, with an outline, and present yourself in a
professional manner, your're going to do all right. Like with a dog, don't
show fear. Be confident, and you won't have any problems with the "know it
all" in your class.

Wim