no comp. .. Del's thoughts.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:24:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Bondi" <tito@philbondi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 23, 2002 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: no comp. .. Del's thoughts.

> 1. I've only been to a handful of conventions, but in my short tenure, it
> appears that the 'most popular'(conrad, 42 regular) classes are the ones
> that require a registration fee in addition to the regular registration
> fee( the all-day affairs and the hands-on stuff). The all-day affairs that
> have attended, on a whole, have been more rewarding than the individual
> classes(conrad, extra FR please). It's possible that my newness to the biz
> has something to do with my viewpoint, but, Del, anyone, do you feel that
> more of these types of classes might be an avenue for us to explore? I
> realize timing and space are critical, but I would like to hear what
others
> have to say about this.

Personally, I don't like the idea. But it may come to that. I would prefer
that all classes be open. I do realize that some have additional expenses
involved, so additional charges may be the best way to deal with them.

I'm willing to be convinced.

> 2. Do you think that it's possible that there is a "fear factor" lurking
in
> the background that is preventing talanted people from getting up in front
> of 20-100 peers and delivering a class? Speaking for myself, I find that a
> pretty daunting proposition. "Fear" meaning that talanted people are just
> that...talanted..but when it comes to instructing a group of peers, the
> instructor becomes the questioned, because the talented individual is
> unfamiliar with being an instructor, and teaching/instructing is something
> that you either have or are willing to work very hard at to be better at.
My
> thoughts are that there's alot of talent in the PTG, but instructing
people,
> especially at Del's level, becomes intimidating because of his experience
> level.

Of course there is. It hits about the time you stand up there and look out
of a bunch of faces and think, "Oh, God, these people are all here to listen
to me! What am I going to do now?"

You cope with it by preparing. You write up your class and present it to
your chapter. Then you evaluate yourself and get a couple of friends to help
you critique it. Make notes for next time. Re-write your outline. Then ask
to give it to a neighboring chapter and go through the same evaluation
process. Then your local regional conference, etc. You may or may not ever
get used to standing up there, but you will learn to deal with, and control,
the fear.

> I design a class for aural tuners, aimed at the beginners, to help them
> become more confident in what they're doing...sitting in the back of the
> class, simply out of respect or curiosity, is Jim Coleman Sr. and Al
> Sanderson. I don't know about anyone else, but my legs would turn to
jello.
> These are 2 people that I have learned an AWFUL lot from over the years,
and
> I would be petrified to say the wrong thing at the wrong time instructing
> these people in my class willing to learn something.

No one with the experience and knowledge of Jim Coleman or Al Sanderson is
going to be in your class to criticize. They are going to be there to learn
something. They are going to be more interested in helping you than in
causing you any difficulty. They also realize that you may find their
presance intimidating and are going to go out of their way to make life
easier for you. They also were once in your shoes and probably still
remember being there quite well.

No, it's the person who is a wannabe that you will have to watch out for. He
is the one who will try to prove how much he knows at your expense.
Hopefully, you will get a mild version of this person in your chapter
meeting and will be able to work out your response at that level. In any
case, keep in mind that the class is there to here you and to learn from
you--not the wannabe. It might help to playact and ask someone to be
deliberatly obnoxious early on to gain practice. You might also consider
joining Toastmasters for a while. Great experience, I'm told.

> We all know Jim and Al are 2 of the kindest people you'll ever meet, but
> speaking for myself, that's pretty intimidating, and you had better know
> your stuff if you want to be in that situation so your legs don't turn to
> jello.

It always helps to know your stuff. And the more you practice the more you
will know your stuff. Use your chapter members as guinea pigs. They love you
and won't let you fail. Take their critism to heart--not as a put down, but
to help you grow and get better at your presentation. Besides, stumbling
through your first presentation will ensure that you will do your homework
so much better that the next time will be a breeze.

Good luck. Let us know how that first time goes (privately, if you wish).

Del