no comp. .. Del's thoughts.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:20:35 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Bondi" <tito@philbondi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 23, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: no comp. .. Del's thoughts.

> Del..Wim..
>
> I NEVER said Jim or Al were going to criticize..
>
> let's agree to that. If I was misunderstood, then fine..but I never said
> they would criticize.

I know you didn't. But that is part of why you might be intimidated by their
presence.

My point was that people at that level would rather stay out of your class
if they thought their presence would cause you much discomfort. Believe me,
they are not the ones you need be concerned with. Relax and enjoy their
presence.

It's the guy who wants to help you teach your class you need watch for--and
then you can be grateful for the presence of guys like Jim or Al or whoever.
If anything, they can be of some help when the wannabe or the knowitall
rears his ugly head. In those cases you can use all the help you can get.

While I don't recommend it as a viable solution to the problem, I can tell
you how I dealt with one of these guys some many years back. After about a
half hour of his 'correcting' me, explaining my points, adding to my
comments, etc., I finally just said, "Well, it looks like Mr. ____ is really
the one who should be teaching this class. I think we should give him that
opportunity." And I headed for the nearest chair and sat down. There was
nervous laughter for a few moments and then silence. Pretty soon I got up
and continued. I did later regret my rather immature and unkind solution to
the problem but it did end the disruption and got me through rest of the
class.

Regards,

Del