Teaching Classes....was no comp, etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:49:00 -0700

Phil,
The very first class I taught, (with little sleep and a hangover, my own
darn fault!), had George Defenbaugh, Don Galt and Lew Herwig, sitting the
front row! Yikes! What I did was suck it up and did the class, to the very
best of my ability. It does, however, help to really know your material,
which I did. (thanks to the great tutelage by Del & Darrel Fandrich!) I got
through the class and it went well. Did my knees feel a little wobbly? Yes,
but not enough for me to faint, puke or run like hell!
After the class, All three of those Gentlemen, came up and thanked me for
the information. They also were very encouraging.
The long and the short of it is: Every class that I attend or give, I,
personally learn something new. The instructor learns as he teaches. Or at
least he should. This is what makes the development of a class.
Do Not Be Afraid To Try. If I said that every one of my classes were roaring
successes, I'd be lying! A few were real duds. Not that I wasn't prepared,
but rather the class had flaws, that needed tweaking. A lot of this
"tweaking" can be done at the Chapter level and then, again, at the Regional
level.
Kapish?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)