K&Cs v. YC

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:02:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/02 4:23:02 PM Central Daylight Time, draine@attbi.com
writes:

> I have a high school music teacher who's in the midst of getting some
> pianos. He made some selections, but lo & behold someone in procurement
> got an "alternate bid" and now he has some pianos that he didn't want,
> which he is "assured" are equivalent.
> He wanted the K&C  46.5" upright, but got the YC 46.5". He had tried out
> the K&Cs at a dealer which (sometimes) excels at prep (he liked what he
> heard), the YC is from a dealer which thinks prep means "uncrate" (he
> really dislikes these). He wants to send the YCs back.
> Fine's Piano Book (2000-2001 ed) shows the YC as listing for $400 more
> than the K&C. The "good" dealer was selling the K&C for $330 more than
> the YC.
> My impression had been that the only real differences between these
> models was the name plate, and the amount of prep work put into them.
> Any comments from folks who prep these, etc?
> Patrick Draine

Have the teacher look at the procurement bid. See if there is anything in
there regarding getting the pianos "in shape," or at least that the pianos
are guaranteed for a certain period of time. Then have the "bad" dealer do
what he was supposed to do in the first place.  If the dealer won't do it, or
do it to the teachers satisfaction, have the teacher go to the procurement
office, and inform them the merchandise is not up to specification, as per
bid. It will be this office's responsibility to make sure all products bought
by the school performs properly. Let them put the pressure on the dealer to
do the work.

Wim