Rib Dimensions

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:52:33 +1000

At 11:15 AM -0700 22/7/02, Phillip Ford wrote:
>. . .  What is desired is light but stiff ribs.
>Structurally speaking, the dimensions that would most efficiently result in
>that would yield a rib that is narrow and tall.

Its a good point Phil. This is an area of investigation to which, I
suspect, more attention should be focused.

At 10:19 PM -0700 22/7/02, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>Depends on how the soundboard is crowned. In a compression-crowned
>soundboard the ribs must remain flexible enough to be forced into a crown by
>the expanding soundboard. In these systems the ribs actually resist the
>formation of crown and fight it for the duration.

Indeed, for the CC brigade, there's not much evolutionary development
possible since short ribs are a necessity.

>  In a rib-crowned
>soundboard system the designer has a few more options. And, yes, gluing area
>does become an issue if the ribs are made too high and too narrow.

One of the first pianos which got me thinking about this area of tone
building, early in my career, was the quality English manufacturer
Sames. I feel sure there was quite some interest in this topic at the
Sames factory, since I have seen them use many different ribbing
approaches (including fanned ribbing). Many of their designs were
clearly focused at securing a stiffer rib with less weight, while
retaining a respectable rib to panel gluing area. Whenever a Sames is
encountered, it is often worth sneaking a look 'round the back'.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers