True Confessions & Request for THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:50:45 -0500

Tuned my client's 60's Wurlitzer (urgh) console today. She said she had =
to leave earlier than expected so I had to rush my work.=20

The humidity had this piano 10-14 cents sharp.  Didn't think it would =
take a fine tune at A440 very well in this humidity without doing a =
pitch drop, for which I did not have time.

Tuned it 10 cents sharp.

Have I sinned?

New, related issue. My relative lack of experience will be exposed here =
but I'd appreciate comments from people with much more experience.=20

How sharp or flat can a piano be, in different temp/humidity =
environments and seasons, and still be tunable to standard pitch in one =
go?=20

If it depends on the piano, what guidelines can you offer?

What is YOUR particular rule-of-thumb? Etc.

Thanks, folks ...

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO