Damper Overring inn Ludwig Upright

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:22:59 -0500

Bill Spurlock has conducted "technicals" on upright dampers and I know =
he discussed this problem in depth.=20

One suggestion he gave was to try the long Baldwin triple dampers--if =
they will lift properly and not interfere with other action parts. =
Suggest you contact him for his handouts or other suggestions.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 1:18 AM
  Subject: Damper Overring inn Ludwig Upright

  List,=20

  I have a customer who has a nice old Ludwig upright that has a problem =
with partials being excited because of where the dampers land on the =
strings--I think.  There is quite a bit of overring when the dampers =
move back onto the strings.  Isn't this why Steinway used double dampers =
near the bass break in some of their uprights?  =20

  I worked on a Yamaha WX-7 today that had the beefiest dampers I've =
ever seen in the upper bass section, and double dampers just above the =
break.  No overring there.  =20

  The customer would like to get rid of the problem.  Any suggestions on =
this besides replacing all of the dampers?  =20

  Thanks in advance for any input,=20

  Dave Stahl=20