Is there any interest? was Re: no comp.

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:37:41 -0700

It's not that easy, Wim. What I see is a long-term trend and a few quick =
questions polled on the internet is not going to give you any real =
answers. Besides, nothing is immediate and nothing is a crisis. Indeed, =
quite probably nothing ever will be a crisis--we will just go happily =
along until one day we start to wonder what happened to the organization =
we once knew and loved.=20

Actually, I'm wondering what has happened to it right now, but obviously =
many in our midst don't see things the way I do. They don't loss of =
vitality and wisdom that I already see developing. A loss which I =
attribute at least in part to the policies under discussion here. And =
even now, that sense of loss is more for what might have been and for =
what might be than for anything that is really wrong right now. Was =
there much really wrong with our last convention? Not much, actually. It =
was well planned and well run. The staff--both paid and volunteer--did a =
great job. They overcame many problems and pulled it off once again with =
grace and aplomb. What could be better? There were classes of interest =
for everyone--well, almost everyone. And here I have only intangibles to =
offer. The bottom line is that had I not instructing there was very =
little to attract my attendance. So, I went to Chicago primarily to try =
to teach others some of what I have learned over the years. And for this =
you tell me I should re-evaluate my motives for attending. If I do, by =
all logic I should simply decline and stay home. And, of course, that is =
what many have done. They no longer show up.=20

I say I should show up. And I should be willing to share my knowledge =
with others. I think my motives are good ones. I think there are a few =
others should show up as well. And I think some of them would if it =
didn't cost them a sometimes considerable amount of money to do so.=20

PTG, as a matter of policy going back to its formative days, exploits =
those who provide it with technical content. Now this is not altogether =
a bad thing, and is sometimes a necessary thing. Our policies regarding =
instructor compensation were generally formed when the organization was =
much younger and poorer. The policy worked and was supported by most =
everybody--myself included--at considerable personal expense.=20

We are now a somewhat older and more mature organization, but those =
policies haven't changed much. After all, they have worked well for =
better than thirty years (of my knowledge), why change them? =
Because--for at least one reason--PTG and the economic status of its =
membership has changed. In large part for the better and in large part =
due to the sacrifices of those early members.=20

I think it's time to now reconsider: Are those policies still working =
all that well or are we just conveniently closing our eyes and not =
looking? Is it possible we do not see developing problems because we =
don't want to see them? Once we acknowledge that all is not right with =
our little world and that problems are sprouting up now that are going =
to reach full bloom sometime in the future we might then be forced to =
deal with them. It might force us to seriously evaluate where we are and =
where we want to go and it might cost us money. None of that will make =
anyone popular but that is what real leadership is all about. It's =
easier and more comfortable to simply evolve than it is to lead.=20

But, good luck.

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20