Understring Felt and Stringing Felt (Braid)

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:42:07 -0400

Re: bass felt.  You will need to know how much bearing you have.  If you
have extra bearing then you can replace this felt.  Using a rubber
mallet you can "hammer" the felt over the pins.  If you are low on
bearing leave this felt out.

Weave the tail ends to quiet them.

Felt between pins and bear bar is optional but I would put it in to
quiet the segments.  Use felt, rather dense like bachcheck felt that is
no more than 1 mm higher than the bar.  But the felt at a angle _/ so it
snuggles up to the bar and the cut provides relief so there is no abrupt
change in height.

		Newton