Fw: Shaft from Schaff on Piano Gold Paint

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:56:23 -0700

The current NY Steinway color made by Walter Wurdack is less yellow and =
more bronze.  I noticed, however, while tuning a new Hamburg A this week =
that the color on those plates is much more the old style yellowish =
gold.  Very nice color.  I also noticed that it has a satin finish on it =
unlike the glossy finishes of many plates I see.   It would be nice if =
anyone knows whether the lacquer on those Hamburg plates is available in =
a can and where it might be had.  They sometimes produce aerosol =
versions for touch up work.

David Love =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; jgrassi@silverlink.net=20
  Sent: July 26, 2002 6:59 PM
  Subject: Re: Fw: Shaft from Schaff on Piano Gold Paint

  In a message dated 7/26/2002 9:13:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =
cmpiano@attbi.com writes:

                 Hi Jeannie Carl
            I'm late on this thread but I'd like to go on record as =
saying that I have seen only one plate ever sprayed with a can that =
looked first class. Most have a  green or bronzish/brown look that =
doesn't even vaguely resemble the original color. Perhaps there are =
better spray can finishes I'm not aware of but I frequently refinish =
plates that have had this treatment  and find that often the spray =
canned on finish has turned brittle as well as the under coat.  This =
turns into a more complicated job as it isn't prudent to spray a new =
finish over an already brittle one. It must be stripped down . Stripping =
it is less problematic than sand blasting as the black original under =
coat is usually salvageable =20
          I've found  a blend of bronzing powders from an outfit back =
east Bob Corey & associates 516-485-5544 that allows for a variety of =
bronzing colors. No.s 99 96 are part of my mix plus a starr product =
which adds the yellow to the color. The one we blend is close to many =
original colors that contain a quite yellow base. Our mixed color is =
about the color of polished brass. Two tablespoons of the mixed powders =
toa  small spray gun cup of acrylic gloss lacquer. Its easy to spray =
(hey I can do it) it covers well. Two coats to cover and two coats of =
gloss over that gives a plate finish way better than most factories put =
out. This is a resielint chip resistent finish that stays pliable which =
avoids the stringer/reassembly damage and looks stunning with a new =
finish. This bronze mix can be mixed in nitro cellulose as well but it's =
more fragile. This process can be done in a four hours or less not =
including stripping. Flame suit on! .

    Jeannie:  I'd like to add that I haven't used any undercoat or =
primer nor any sealer.  Just the Aervoe rust proof paint by itself.  =
Just put on one coat to see the results, then fill and sand.  One more =
light followed by a medium coat in 30 minutes is all I do.  I haven't =
noticed any tarnishing or any problem.  However time may tell. =20

    Carl

    ----- Original Message -----=20