Another heater bar without a control...

Matt Wynne rustraze@optonline.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:50:15 -0400

Well, add one more to the list!

I can't count the times I've shown up at a new customer's house and found
this scenario.  The previous tech installed a heater bar with no humidistat
and not even any instructions to the customer to unplug it in the
winter.  It even has a label stating not to use without the control.  I'm
not a big fan of these systems and I believe that Dampp-Chaser, et.al., can
be held liable for damage to pianos caused by misuse of their
products.  I'm aware that there is a DC muckity-muck who subscribes to this
list so, I put these questions out there:

1)  Why don't they manufacture heater bars with keyed plugs that will only
plug into a humidistat - not an electrical outlet?  The warning label
obviously doesn't cut it.

2) Is there any INDEPENDENT study published that backs up the claims that
are made regarding these system's supposed beneficial effects on
pianos?  When I say independent, I don't mean a study paid for by
Dampp-chaser.  The company has a vested interest in the results and would
not publish a contrary report.  I also don't mean a study performed by
techs who are proponents of the equipment.  They has a similar vested
interest as well.

Any takers?

Matt Wynne