CA Glue / Pin tightner ... new angle

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:33:43 -0400

I recently delivered an old 1884 Chickering which was restrung for a customer.
The 2/0 pins were not loose but once apart the block was slightly delaminating.
Since it was a fitted-front-and-rear-with-angled top I didn't want to replace.

I swabbed the holes and outside with 301, then mixed in some collodial silica
and swabbed again forcing it into the thin cracks.  Then I clamped them up
to dry.

I reamed the holes on a drill press ala Ron's two bit method.  I used the
Low-torque pins
from Pianotek (4/0).

The piano tunes fine. it feels like a new block.

I might swab the holes on another block that will be getting oversize pins.

Regards,

Jon Page