CA gluing Grand pinblocks

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:49:05 -0500

>I was wondering how many people have had problems separating a CA treated
>pin block from the plate and if this is really a worry?
>
>David Koelzer

David,
This isn't for you specifically, but your wording of the question condensed
it nicely to a one liner, so I borrowed it for a lead-in.

ATTENTION REBUILDERS! This question has been worried regularly on the list
for years now. For an outlay of $10 worth of CA and an hour's time, any one
or twenty of you could lay the question to rest with your next teardown by
trying your very best to intentionally CA the old pinblock to the plate
(don't waste CA in the tuning pin holes, make the best use of it at the
block surface to webbing and flange interface) while both are out of the
piano and easily accessible for breaking apart after the stuff sets. Then
we'll have some real data, at a cost any one of us could afford if we
really wanted to know the answer. I would do it myself, but I don't think
it is a concern, and I have other research projects in the works already so
it's not my turn.

So how about it? Would someone out there actually spend a couple of bucks
and a little time to find out once and for all?

Ron N