Jazz CD with EBVT now available

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:58:30 EDT

List,

I have been extremely busy lately with the show, Man of La Mancha which open=
s=20
this week and concert prep and tuning for an annual chamber music series=20
which uses a 100 + year old Bechstein.  The latter was a resounding success,=
=20
more on that and guitar tuning later but the good news today is that there i=
s=20
at last a commercially available Jazz CD which features two pianos,  a Yamah=
a=20
C6 and Kawai RX3, both tuned in my own design known as Equal Beating=20
Victorian Temperament (EBVT) with Tempered Octaves. (See my website through=20
the link below for more information)

The artist is Roscoe Mitchell and the Note Factory.  The title of the CD is=20
"Song for my Sister".  I was indeed given credit for my work in the liner=20
notes.

There are two ways to order:  directly from the distributor or from=20
Amazon.com.

To order from the distributor, Pi Recordings:

http://www.pirecordings.com/flash/main.html

To order from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068CZ8/qid%3D1027978498/sr%3D11-1=
/r

ef%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-0542581-3432913

The music may not be for everybody but I have enjoyed it quite a bit so far.=
 =20
It is also not the ideal example to try to pick apart and analyze the=20
difference between the standard way of tuning the modern piano and the way I=
=20
have done now for 10 years.  It does however, demonstrate that modern Jazz=20
does not really require Equal Temperament (ET) as so many people assume.

Below is the review from Amazon.com.  Your comments and critiques are=20
welcome.  The ordering information will be posted on my website soon.

<<Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
<A HREF=3D"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/artist-glance/50717/102-0542=
581-3432913">Roscoe Mitchell</A>'s new Song for My Sister will surprise thos=
e who pigeonhole=20
the multi-reed player and flutist as a "free jazz" improviser and not much=20
more. A founding member of the <A HREF=3D"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/=
ts/artist-glance/53155/102-0542581-3432913">Art Ensemble of Chicago</A> and=20=
the equally=20
influential Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians, Mitchell=20
is often associated with the kind of bombastic free jazz that the Art=20
Ensemble pioneered in the 1960s--but as the wonderfully varied Song for My=20
Sister proves, that's not a fair categorization of his broad composing and=20
improvising talents. Recorded with the Note Factory, Mitchell's nine- piece=20
double-trio ensemble (two bassists, two drummers, two pianists), Song for My=
=20
Sister opens with the lyrical title track, a swinging modal workout that=20
wouldn't sound out of place on John Coltrane's <A HREF=3D"http://www.amazon.=
com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004WK0U/102-0542581-3432913">Ol=E9</A>. From there M=
itchell dips=20
into several of his many musical personalities: "This," a beautiful=20
chamber-music piece originally set to one of e.e. cummings's poems that=20
utilizes Mitchell's bass and great bass recorders; the percussion-and-piano=20
"The Megaplexian," which echoes Indonesian gamelan music; and some thrilling=
=20
rides into free improvisation on "Sagitta" and "When the Whistle Blows." Son=
g=20
for My Sister certainly doesn't fit into the neat categories that mark many=20
major-label jazz releases these days--a fact that both longtime and recent=20
fans of Mitchell's nearly 40-year career will find heartening. --Ezra Gale>>
=20
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
 <A HREF=3D"http://www.billbremmer.com/">Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r=