Damp Chaser ...Again

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:25:09 -0700

I really got a grin from the responses to my posting.  I thank you all.
And, yes I agree with every one of you.  Damp chasers have been out for a
very long time and the humidistats or switches for them have only been out a
much shorter time.  I would never consider putting in one without the other.
The posting was my way of suggesting that.  First I have the customer buy a
hygrometer to monitor humidity and if the humidity varies outside the range
of about 35% to around 75% (pipe organ guidelines), I suggest they get a
humidifier or dehumidifier as the case may be.  Then we start with the damp
chaser.

Yes flanges shrink.   When I restore a piano with all new flanges, which is
most of them I go out in one year to tighten all the screws as flanges will
shrink and loosen.  It is my common practice.  The damp chaser seems to
amplify the problem exponentially.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis