Damp Chaser ...Again

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:16:15 -0400

-----Original Message-----
<Snip>

Yes flanges shrink.   When I restore a piano with all new flanges, which
is
most of them I go out in one year to tighten all the screws as flanges
will
shrink and loosen.  It is my common practice.  The damp chaser seems to
amplify the problem exponentially.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis

	D.L.,
	Respectfully I disagree. The new flange will expand against the
screw in high humidity and crush the fibers under the head. When
humidity drops the flange recedes from the screw head. It is the
fluctuation in humidity that causes this, not just a lack of humidity.
Yes, system or not new flanges will be loose in one year, but I contend
less so with a properly installed climate control system in place. That
is unless they are near the firewall----- Those suckers get hot! Tom
Driscoll