DC Study

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:39:08 -0400

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 06:45 AM, G GRAVINA wrote:

> Folks,
>
> If one were to set up such a study, what other parameters, controls,
> frequency of data collection, length of study, etc., should be
> considered?
>
> Jerry Gravina, RPT
> Babylon, NY

I think one would first start by reading the available literature,
starting with articles in the Journal. There was an article by Don Galt
a few decades ago in which he tracked humidity and pitch variations
between a "control" piano (ie no system) and one with a DC system. I
think they were the same model, in school practice rooms. There were
more recent articles, some written by DC principals. It's pretty clear
that they use good methodology.
A couple years ago Roger had a "data loggers" demo at the CyberCafe
(last day of the Institute). There's very sophisticated, very reasonably
priced, equipment for tracking humidity and temperature at a wide range
of intervals (from seconds to weeks between  readings), with
accompanying software [PC only, not for Macs :(  ] which can graph the
data.
I'm sure Roger would be willing to share the details with someone
interested in reduplicating his studies. On your own dime, no doubt.
Perhaps a good science fair project for your kids, or a research project
for a wood technology major.

Patrick Draine