Grand Damper Heads/Carl Meyer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:58:02 -0700

Carl,
Great Minds Think Alike and Fools Seldom Differ! <G>
I just finished a set of damper heads with the same boo boo!
Giant OOPS! I used a light stripper to get the old finish off and then
lightly sanded with 320 sand paper (3M Gold). They are, as we speak, outside
getting a "baked finish", (by the sun. The finish I used is an acrylic. They
are beautiful!!!!, (mahogany). I think the little extra time it took to put
a piece of masking tape on either side, was well worth it. I have seen
damper heads that have the finish on the sides and it offends my eye.
Course, that's probably just me. <G> BTW, I have a special rack that I use
for all of the damper work. It clamps onto the sides of the piano when
taking the dampers out. Then 2/4's are added, (1 footers) to the rim clamp
part and transfered to the work bench, for soaking, cleaning, replacing
felt, etc. Also, I take the time to number stamp each head. Just part of a
professional job. The true craftsman ability is not to do the job expertly,
all the time. But rather, when you screw up, you have the ability to fix it.
<G>
Welcome to my world of boo boos!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

I'm never lost, because everyone is telling me where to go. <G>