Voicing Technique

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:02:50 -0400

Hello all.

Today, I tried something, I'm not sure if it is an 'approved' method, but I
tried it anyway.

The victim: Kawai GS-30

Hammer re-shaping and voicing..

There was alot of sizzle(for lack of a better word) at FFF on various notes.
I knew that sugar coating was a temp fix, so I tried this:

-Using a single needled tool, deep needle twice on either side of the strike
point, around 10:00..
-1 deep needle per side into the side of the hammer, as close to the strike
point without seeing the needle.

This gave favorable results..actually, darn good results.

The reason I tried this is because I thought I had read something here
regarding this technique..not as an alternative to sugar coating, but rather
as a tool we should have in our arsenal of voicing techniques.

It didn't 'feel' like I was doing any damage to the hammer..was I?

This piano is played by a real honest-to-God player, and he wants my
services on a regular basis(at least twice a year), so I will be keeping an
eye out for longevity of what I did.

Any comments?

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com