Another heater bar without a control...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:25:30 -0400

Matt,

It depends what you call hard evidence.  If Dampp-Chaser sent you a packet, surely
in there you would have found their "hard evidence."  How would you suggest
additional evidence be gathered?  Most of us aren't set up to do detailed
controlled tests, so what we have to offer is anecdotal.

I was very skeptical when I installed my first system about eight years ago, but I
had a client (lawyer's wife and music teacher) whose console piano just wouldn't
stay in tune, and both she and I were frustrated.  I installed a complete system
with the understanding that I would remove the whole thing and refund all her
money if she was unsatisfied.

The one mistake I made was to do the installation at the same time I tuned the
piano.  The system instantly began correcting the humidity level in the piano, and
shortly (a week or two later) it was out of tune again.  I gave her another tuning
free, and the piano has done so well since that she told me, "If you need any
testimonials about the system, feel free to give them my telephone number."  I
could cite other instances where clients were happy with the positive changes in
their pianos' stability.

Have I had any unhappy clients?  Well, there were a couple pianos where I had
installed a partial system (dehumidifier bar and humidistat) and later had to
complete the system.  After doing that they were happy.

I had a grand piano where the system did not work correctly because there were too
many air currents around the piano.  I am certain the Dampp-Chaser undercover
would solve that problem.  I notice the instability, but it doesn't bother the
client, so they haven't opted to go that direction yet.

Lastly, I install all my complete systems with a full refund if not satisfied.  No
one has ever requested that I make good on that.  But you will learn some things
as you go along.  Even though the systems greatly reduce the humidity-related
change, they do not eliminate it completely.  I understand that Dampp-Chaser knows
how to make a better system, and they did, but they didn't sell because of the
cost, so they were discontinued.

Regards,
Clyde