CA gluing Grand Pinblocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 06:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

Yes. I'd use the West system too, and waft over it
gently with a heat gun to thin the stuff and really
get it to penetrate the wood! I read an article once
that said the author believed such impregnation
helped vibrations travel, and I must concur! Epoxy is
denser than wood, and therefore transmits vibrations
better. On uprights I have no problem coating the
entire bridge with it for this very reason, and may do
it on a grand someday although it does make the bridge
encapsulated in shinyness- not everyone's esthetic cup
of tea! Still, a superior sound-producing and totally
-moisture-impervious bridge is more important than
minor cosmetic concerns, in my book!  Scrape the
coated bearing surfaces flat with a razorblade, and
you will then have an excellent surface for simple
pencil graphite to stick to. Easy and very effective!