CA gluing Grand Pin blocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:47:02 +0200

Hello Susan

I've seen ivory glued with CA only and not holding. I suspect the wood
had swell, the holding was poor. Unable to say what kind of CA was
used, with or without kicker, and so on.

On poor pianos , I sometime have done 'poor work' using CA to hold the
key in place while gluing it back with white glue (I believe I've read
that trick on the list, frome someone) <G>. Then the clamping can be
done with a simple clamp (for beginners : Ivory tend to curl if not
clamped and too thin).

If not too much ivories to be glued, I still prefer to use the special
brass clamps that allow for an invisible joint between front and tail.
The trick is to leave a thin kerfs in the wood near the joint so the
extra glue does not show thru the joint and flow out on the sides (but
a very few glue of course) shaping the joint a little less than 90?
(vertically) is better I believe.

Are the glue wafers (?) still available ? is it something we can make
ourselves ? The ivory glue I have seems to be hide glue whitened.