Soundboard Evaluation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:42:20 -0400

Took a 1947 Baldwin M grand (5' 2"?) into my shop a week or two ago for "complete" rebuilding. The owners inherited it from grandma and want it to be like new and they want a piano disc installed on it also. I told them I would evaluate the condition of the various major components of the piano and get back to them. They have indicated their willingness to do whatever is required to do the job right. (Cool!)

Piano is overall in above average apparent condition for an all-original 55 year old piano. Tone is OK generally, maybe a bit on the quiet side. It has a very prominent killer octave area between G5 and A6 and it is especially weak between C6 and A6.

Pulled a string tight in numerous locations on bottom of soundboard. Flat, flat, flat flat everywhere. No crown, positive or negative. Piano is fully strung.

I measured downbearing with my Lowell gauge. The numbers below are the difference in lines on the bubble gauge between the reading on the speaking length segment and the backscale length segment. A positive number means there is positive bearing.

E7   +10
C7   +7
A6   +7
break - G/G#6
F#6  +6
E6    +5
C6    +4
A5    +2
F#5  +1
E5    -1/2
D#5  -2
break - C#5/D5
C5    -2
A4    -1
E4    -3
long bridge goes under bass strings.

Now it appears obvious to me that this piano has a board that will likely go inside-out when the strings are removed. If this were my piano I would not be asking questions. As it belongs to a client, and my expertise at condemning soundboards is, shall we say - not as extensive as some, I am seeking an opinion or two regarding my conclusions. I say if they want the piano to be like new, it gets a new board - anything less and they have a crippled piano. Thanks for any input.

Anyone care to share any thoughts on why the killer octave region would be where there is a fair bit of downbearing, and where it is negative, the tone is not noticeably bad? Thanks again.

The Fun Never Stops
Terry Farrell