Soundboard Evaluation

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 16:24:26 -0600

Hi Terry,
              You need to take 3 measurements with the gauge, speaking length, bridge cap, and back scale.  You can easily get fooled by bridge roll.

Centre the gauge on the speaking length, then the bridge cap should be minus some, and back scale minus some more, if all is healthy.

Rolled or twisted bridges become very apparent this way.  Now you have a real idea of bearing in each section.

The crown is measured with a piece of high tech string. Available from the Jolly supply company at $90US per length.  I feel you should order at least 5 lengths <G>

Roger