refinishing articles in the Journal

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 05:09:21 -0500 (CDT)

My two cents here:

Major refinishing of a piano require a lot of non-piano equipment and
a dedicated space -- which I'll bet most of us don't have. What we do
have is a lot of pianos with various types of dings and surface
problems which don't require a refinishing shop but do require
know-how and a few jars/cans/whatever.

For instance, I have a beautifully refinished small grand with a
puzzling problem--right in the middle of the lid top is a small,
irregular hole. From the way the edges of hole look, it looks like it
was there before the refinish job. I have to fix it, but have no idea
how.

And another instance-- on otherwise fine old uprights, the front of
the toes are frequently in sad shape. How can those best be improved
without major hassle?

Loose veneer on grand legs, plant pot stains on the top of uprights,
fingernail marks on the front of the fallboard, etc., etc.

It is these kind of things I think that more of us more often run
into and need to know what to do about than refinishing a whole piano.

Cheers,
Clair

Clair's Piano Service
http://www.vt2000.com/cps/