Piano Refinishing

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:55:55 -0400

Wim,
 Refinishing is part of our trade. It is an elaborate part of the =
manufacturing process the manufacture has to deal with. It's part of the =
tech's bag of tricks who has accidentally dropped his/her tuning hammer =
on the polyester finish a dent into a finish. It is part of the =
rebuilder's trade who takes in a piano for a complete overhaul. It is =
part of the face lift operation which allows us to by the piano for dirt =
cheap and turn around and sell it to pay for the Mercedes.
No refinishing does not incorporate the leverage factors of action =
design, nor does it flirt with understanding partials. But it does play =
a substantial role in the piano industry.
Undoubtedly refinishing is a part of our trade...like it  or not.=20
Tom Servinsky, RPT

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 11:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano Refinishing

  In a message dated 6/3/02 11:18:38 AM Central Daylight Time, =
Kdivad@AOL.COM writes:=20

    It's a part of our trade.  It would sure be nice=20
    >to see it receive some attention.=20
    >=20
    >>Brian T.=20
    >=20

  For some reason, I must have missed the beginning of this thread, but =
I must disagree with the above statement.=20

  Refinishing is NOT part of our trade. There are piano technicians who =
are able to refinish, but I don't consider refinishing to be part of =
piano technology. Refinishing is a totally different occupation. I =
learned how to refinish, and soon learned that I wasn't any good at it. =
I know what to do, and know what is required to be a professional =
refinsiher, but I don't consider myself a refinisher. And by the same =
token, there are refinishers who know absolutely nothing about piano =
technology, but can still refinish a piano.=20

  If a piano technician wants to know more about refinishing, then =
he/she should subscribe to a refinishing chat page and refinishing trade =
magazines. But I do not think articles refinishing should be included in =
the Journal.=20

  Just my 2.5 cents worth.=20

  Wim=20