Piano Refinishing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 11:15:24 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 4 Jun 2002  8:38:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:

>In a message dated 04/06/02 7:54:49 AM, jonpage@attbi.com writes:
>
><< Even an article about piano moving is relavent.
>Regards, >>
>
>Dear Jon.................Actually it should be addressed et al....but I've
>always wanted to write a Dear Jon letter! :-)
>
> There is a dearth of articles in the journal on refinishing for several
>reasons....but these are just my opinions........
>
>1. There is an absolute plethora, a bountiful sufficency, a superflurous
>abundance,,,, of refininshing books available...workshops to
>attend...materials manufacturers literature...........etc. The large majority
>of it is very good and very easily obtainable.
>
>2. Unlike piano technical thingees........ refinishing applies across the
>board to all furniture type stuff and is 'not' piano specific nor is it
>'part' of the piano technicians trade.  It is part of the rebuilders
>trade.....but see above No.1.
>
>3. Help is hard to come by for most 'piano' techs without a touchstone of
>some description, i.e. colleague in community, pianotech, seminars
>etc..........while the woods are full of refinishers who will help a newcomer.
>
>4. While I love Jeannie to death I must disagree with her desire to put
>refinishing articles in the Journal. While an occasional piece on a certain
>technique or new material would be welcomed by me if I want truly useful in
>depth info I will go to where that wheel already exists.................
>
>My view....
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Its a completely different wheel Jim, the techniques used on pianos are not the same for furniture.  I have never found a school or book that even comes close to teaching piano refinishing.  This is still a field that has to be passed down from one refinisher to the next.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW