Leading Vertical Dampers

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:05:30 +0200

Hi Del, John and Andre'

I was thinking just of this kind of stuff, actually the lead I have for
inserting in hammers ala D.Stanwood. I had thought of adding about a gram of
weight to each damper.... perhaps tapereing off a bit in the end of the treble
section.

Also... John Ross... I didnt check this about the nodes... just assumed that
triple damper felfs were in order. The existing dampers were of the long sort,
but there were only 2 rather short wedges to each string in the bass. From the
tenor break upwards there were first 6 split wedges then flat dampers the rest
of the way. All of these were single long pieces. I had planned on spliting
these into two peice dampers, with the exception of the lowest two tenor notes.

I would imagine that a bit of nodal ringing is part of the problem here, as
Antares said this used to be popular.

I just thought it might be a good idea to hedge my bets here. And I am curious
about the effects of useing a bit of lead in the damper heads. So I figured a
bit of lead, and tri piece bass dampers should do the job.

Btw.. Springs were useable tension for sure...actually a bit on the strong
side... and centers are not particularilly tight. The old felt is off and was a
bit packed... but I have seen worse often enough.

Thanks for the good words of advice

RicB

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF