Leading Vertical Dampers

Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:10:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 04, 2002 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Leading Vertical Dampers

> Hi Del, John and Andre'
>
> I was thinking just of this kind of stuff, actually the lead I have for
> inserting in hammers ala D.Stanwood. I had thought of adding about a gram
of
> weight to each damper.... perhaps tapereing off a bit in the end of the
treble
> section.

I don't really know how much is enough -- or too much, for that. With our
122 Vertical simply changing from wood dowel heads to brass dowel heads was
sufficient. Putting a small amount of mass at the head will be more
effective than putting a larger amount of mass at the top of the wood lever.
You'll have to experiment to see where the best balance is achieved.

> I just thought it might be a good idea to hedge my bets here. And I am
curious
> about the effects of useing a bit of lead in the damper heads. So I
figured a
> bit of lead, and tri piece bass dampers should do the job.

I'd suggest making just one change at a time. Assuming, of course, that you
want to be able to attribute any performance changes directly with the
mechanical changes you are making. Otherwise you won't know what is doing
what.

> Btw.. Springs were useable tension for sure...actually a bit on the strong
> side... and centers are not particularilly tight. The old felt is off and
was a
> bit packed... but I have seen worse often enough.

With a bit of added mass you should be able to back off on the spring
pressure. Memory fails, but we dropped a couple of spring wire sizes with
the change to brass heads. The effect was most notable in the bass.

Del