Leading Vertical Dampers

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:51:08 +0200

Thanks for the advise Del.

With your words in mind I will mount the new felts, and simply pre-bore holes
for the lead without inserting any. Then I can install the action and see how
things work, and if necessary insert and tighten / glue the leads and check any
differences.

One other question.... Came to think that the Dampers are on small wood slates
that are cushioned on the back side with about a half cm felt to allow for some
flexibility between them and the wooden round that screws onto the damper wire.

Would it make any difference whether the lead is mounted to the round or to the
slate ?

RicB

 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>> I just thought it might be a good idea to hedge my bets here. And I am
>curious
>> about the effects of useing a bit of lead in the damper heads. So I
>figured a
>> bit of lead, and tri piece bass dampers should do the job.

I'd suggest making just one change at a time. Assuming, of course, that you
want to be able to attribute any performance changes directly with the
mechanical changes you are making. Otherwise you won't know what is doing
what.

>> Btw.. Springs were useable tension for sure...actually a bit on the
>strong
>> side... and centers are not particularilly tight. The old felt is off and
>was a
>> bit packed... but I have seen worse often enough.

With a bit of added mass you should be able to back off on the spring
pressure. Memory fails, but we dropped a couple of spring wire sizes with
the change to brass heads. The effect was most notable in the bass.

Del

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB