Leading Vertical Dampers

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:34:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 08, 2002 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: Leading Vertical Dampers

> Thanks for the advise Del.
>
> With your words in mind I will mount the new felts, and simply pre-bore
holes
> for the lead without inserting any. Then I can install the action and see
how
> things work, and if necessary insert and tighten / glue the leads and
check any
> differences.
>
> One other question.... Came to think that the Dampers are on small wood
slates
> that are cushioned on the back side with about a half cm felt to allow for
some
> flexibility between them and the wooden round that screws onto the damper
wire.

> Would it make any difference whether the lead is mounted to the round or
to the
> slate ?

Interesting question -- without trying it I would guess mounting the mass
directly on the slat would be more effective. Especially at damping higher
partials. And, since these usually present the most difficulties....

The problem, of course, is how to attach them in such a way that they won't
come off, ever.

Del