Graduated Downweight

Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:18:41 -0700

If you use the balance weight method the DW's will graduate automatically as
a function of friction.  Remember, BW = DW - F, and BW = UW + F.  Rewriting
the equation, DW = BW + F.  So if friction ranges from 15 g in the bass to
11 g in the treble, and you set the BW at 37 g, then the DW in the bass will
be 52 g (37 + 15), and the DW in the treble will be 48 g (37 + 11).

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 04, 2002 3:19 PM
Subject: Graduated Downweight

Most (I think) manufacturers claim to graduate the DW along the keyboard,
having the bass a little greater DW than the high treble. For example, I
think a well-known manufacturer in NY targets a DW of 52 grams in the bass
to 48 grams in the high treble. If one were doing the component action
balancing and wished to have a graduated DW, what do you graduate? I have
always heard of having constant BWs, so your only choice then is to graduate
Friction. How does anyone handle that?

Terry Farrell