etd tunings

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:32:26 -0500

> I'm curious how the discussion led up to your friends "boast".  Were
> the two of you, perhaps, comparing the pitch raise accuracy of his
> RCT and your TuneLab?  I've pitch raised with both, and find that
> RCT gets me closer, more often.  In other words, after a single pass
> 100 cent pitch raise with RCT, I have less to do on the next pass
> than with TuneLab.  Your thoughts?

The family is one whose standards in all things musical is incredibly
high, and the dad/technician is one whose technical skills I envy.  Yet,
all I've heard bantered about on the list suggests that "things" continue
to stretch and shift for "awhile" afterwards, and I can't imagine such a
major change staying solid.  He may be able to do it. His clients are
generally playing the better pianos, as he sends a number of the "lesser"
ones to me.  I've not heard one of those major pitch raises which he's
tuned, so can't say anything except his expressed opinion.  I'm one who
questions, not one who thinks he knows..........  though I did have my
first major outdoor tuning venture last weekend for John Tesh. The piano
sat outside in the pavillion for eight hours before the concert, and was,
for me, at least, a difficult challenge, an opportunity dropped in my
lap.  I asked him "if" it was acceptable, and he was quite
gracious.............

As to the TL/Cybertuner thing, the PRO version has a modified way to do
pitch raises, the percent of overpull manually being set in different
sections of the piano. I also "cheat the program" a bit, depending on the
distance out of tune, and I seem to have pretty good luck. I'm a
committed TL user, for the same reasons I'm a committed Guild person.
Both have given me what I know. Both have been effective in raising my
hopes and my standards.  Neither forces me into "politics".  TL leaves
enough stuff for the tuner to mess with that it's still "his" tuning, in
the end. Since the tuner, not the program, is either given credit or
criticism for the final result-  I like what TL offers. I've never used
Cybertuner, and only used an SAT a couple times, but I like TL with its
graph plus moving blocks.
les

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.