It really needs it

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:59:10 EDT

Clyde writes:
>(2)  They are trying to justify in their own minds
>shelling out those bucks for the annual tuning.
(3)  They want to keep me on my toes.
 >Has anyone else run into this?

    yes

>Any other theories?

    Yes, two that I have seen.  One is that they are playing a LOT of wrong
notes.....
The second is that they have just been at one of my well-tempered customers
and thought that the  piano sounded a lot more in tune than their ET one!  I
found this out once before when I had tuned a piano in  ET(their piano
teacher had told them that ET was the "best" tuning)  and they commented that
it still didn't sound as good as their teacher's piano ,(who keeps it in a
Broadwood's "best")
   It was a little confusion all around, I had mentioned to the teacher that
the Broadwood's best was the late 1800's version of ET and that somehow got
translated into the first one's insistance on "ET".  A quick changeover and
everybody was happy.  If the piano is only used for key signatures with 4
accidentals or less, (which is the vast majority of music played on pianos),
the WT tuning produces far less dissonance and always sounds more "in tune".
    It is actually more common that a customer with a woefully out of tune
piano asks, "does it need tuning?"
Regards,
Ed Foote