etd tunings

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:35:16 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/02 8:07:03 AM Central Daylight Time, lesbart1@juno.com
(Leslie W Bartlett) writes:

> So, two passes, from 100 cents out, and he says it should last, on most
> pianos, a year.

Take it from me, the ultimate cynic that this is wishful thinking.  I might
concede that for the customer/circumstances he was referring to, his job
"worked".  But really, if his technique were that good and solid, you'd run
out of pianos that ever needed tuning in your area after a while.

The truth is that it would take a *minimum* of 4 passes with even the best of
pitch raise programs or aural techniques just to arrive at something barely
passable as a fine tuning.  This tuning would inevitably begin to change and
settle almost immediately.  No tuning ever lasts for 365 days under any
circumstances, anywhere.

If, on the one hand, this fellow is such a high falootin' musically superior
professional, what the heck is he doing trying to tune a piano which is 1/2
step low?  That is a *seriously* substandard state for a piano to be found
in.  The first question I'd be asking is *why* is it so low?  Someone
mentioned that raising the pitch 100 cents would add about a ton or so.
Actually, it is more like 4 tons!  Who in his right mind could ever claim
that he just went in and *hot dogged* a piano up 100 cents and it stayed in
tune perfectly for an entire year?  Sheeesh!

I haven't seen one opinion yet that says this is possible.  The consensus
seem to be that this is a highly inflated claim.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin